Strategic Professional Development Needs To Be:
1. Differentiated to meet the needs of all staff members.
- Innovators--willing to take risks
- Early Adopters--teacher leaders
- Early Majority--will follow the teacher leaders
- Late Majority--adopt technology after the average user
- Laggards--last to adopt
2. Planned out over time and ongoing throughout the early implementation process.
- Strong foundation prior to getting the devices related to a vision of integrating technology
- Comprehensive once the devices are provided for teachers so they have confidence starting the school year and basic workflows for information planned out (EdTech Teacher and PD in the Spring, Summer, and upfront PD to start the year)
- Ongoing throughout the year and responsive to teacher needs based on staff feedback (staff surveys drive our next PD session offerings)
- A variety of PD options: external, internal, PD days, webinars, workshops, edCamps, before-during-after school
3. Modeled by the school leadership
- Leaders must be the early adopters and willing to take risks and model technology integration
- Technology integration becomes "the way we do things around here."
- School leaders must be involved in the PD as well. It can't occur in isolation without leader support.